My New Blog

Have you received form 1099-C from your lender yet?

March 14th, 2011 3:32 PM by Sam Kader

Lenders who write off unpaid mortgage balances are required to mail out form 1099 C. If you've had mortgage debt cancelled due to loan modifications or short sales or foreclosures but have never received a 1099-C from your lender, get in touch and request if to avoid federal tax hassles. Per the IRS Mortgage Forgiveness and Debt Cancellation Act of 2007 – You do not have to report it as income. However, you must report it on Form 982.  Review IRS Publication 4681 for additional filing details.  As always - consult with your accountant for further advise.
Posted in:General
Posted by Sam Kader on March 14th, 2011 3:32 PM



My Favorite Blogs:

Sites That Link to This Blog:

Ask Sam

Everyone is unique. Complete the form below and I will contact you personally.

Contact Information
Question or Comment
By checking the box, you agree that Pacific Coast Financial, LLC may call/text you about your inquiry, which may involve use of automated means and prerecorded/artificial voices.. Message/data rates may apply.